Alumasc Facades’ VBriQ Pro EWI system provides the perfect solution for Birmingham City Council at Rea Street
A recent annual building survey at a residential block in Rea Street (in central Birmingham) identified the need for a full building envelope refurbishment.
Birmingham City Council and Acivico needed to improve the thermal efficiency of the building and to provide a facelift to the exterior of the property.
Alumasc VBriQ Pro External Wall Insulation (EWI) System was chosen as the most suitable solution to accommodate the Council’s needs. VBriQ Pro is a BBA certified system that consists of the Alumasc Pro Mineral Wool Insulation and the VBriQ Acrylic Brick Slip finish.
The VBriQ Pro system fulfilled all of the criteria that the client was looking for:
- A clean and contemporary brick appearance with a new build feel;
- A system fire rating of A2-s1, d0 (limited combustibility material);
- A façade system that is BBA-approved for use above 18 m (i.e. high-rise developments);
- Category I resistance to impact (when tested in accordance with ETAG004) providing excellent resistance to damage in a busy area.
The Alumasc Facades Registered Contractor, Knowles and Madden, installed the VBriQ Pro system on this development, together with Alumasc’s Silkolitt Silicone Render finish on the communal side of the building.
The Alumasc Facades EWI system was part of a holistic building envelope solution provided by Alumasc Building Products on this refurbishment, including:
- The Euroroof Caltech UV Cold Applied Liquid Waterproofing system on a cut to falls insulation scheme that improved the thermal and drainage performance of the roof;
- Euroroof Caltech QC Liquid Waterproofing and quartz anti-slip granules was used to refurbish the walkway areas;
- Alumasc’s Surefoot Guardrail system was supplied with a free-standing, counterbalance design to bring the flat roof area in-line with current CDM regulations in respect of safe access.
Alumasc’s combined Roofing and Facade solution considered the design and delivery of key interfaces at the earliest opportunity. Alumasc’s technical support service extended from design stage through to completion and beyond:
- Specification support
- Registered contractor installation
- Site monitoring
An Alumasc single point warranty was then issued to Birmingham City Council for the finished BBA-certified single source building envelope solution.
For further information, contact us.